Got a question about Portal Axles?
What 4x4 vehicles can portal axles be fitted to?
– Toyota Land cruiser VDJ Series 76, 78, 79 SSM and post registration with engineer certification
– Nissan Patrol 1997 + GU Y61 series
What is the price of portal axles?
The price of portal axles installed on Toyota Landcruiser VDJ 76, 78, 79 start from $33,500 (excluding wheels and tyres). The price of portal axles installed on Nissan GU Patrol starts from $27,000 (excluding wheels and tyres).
(As you can choose your preferred wheels and tyres, we can confirm the final price when you finalise your quote).
are portal axles legal in australia?
Pre-registration (new builds) are completed on SSM (second stage of manufacture).
Post-registered vehicles can have portal axles installed with engineer certification. The engineer will follow the SSM approval for specifications.
Can I purchase the portal axle kit and fit it myself ?
Where are portal axles made?
What does a portal axle system include?
A Toyota Landcruiser portal axle system includes:
– New front diff housing and new larger, stronger rear diff housing manufactured to the correct wheel track
– One piece swivel housings for the front axle
– Portal axle system front and rear
– Forged chrome molly heavy duty spindles
– ARB single air compressor and switches
– Track increase of 80mm
– Air operated front freewheeling hubs
– Transmission drum brake system with bash guards
– Radiator underbody protection plate
– GVM Increase to 3950kg (VDJ79 series)
– GVM Increase to 3780kg (76/78 series)
– Delios slotted front and rear brake rotors / high temp brake pads
– Stainless braided brake lines
– Rubber wheel arch flare/wire retainer for front wheels only
– Breather system for portals, diffs, transmission and transfer cases
– SSM Approval for new vehicles
– Legal in all states of Australia
Portal axles can be installed post registration with engineer approval and mod plate.
What weight will the portal kit add to my vehicle?
What will the overall Height of my vehicle be once kitted out with portals ?
The below vehicle heights are based off the Toyota specifications for GXL models of the following vehicles:
Toyota Landcruiser VDJ76 Wagon 2090mm
Toyota Landcruiser VDJ78 Troop Carrier 2265mm
Toyota Landcruiser VDJ79 Dual Cab 2105mm
Toyota Landcruiser VDJ79 Single Cab 2105mm
Nissan Patrol Y61 Gu 1997 < 2005mm approx.
(Please Note: The overall height measurement is taken from the highest point which is the top of the snorkel. It does NOT take into account suspension lifts/roof rack accessories or any other accessories that will add to the vehicle height).
What tyres and wheels can I add?
what does ssm stand for?
SSM only applies to new vehicles that have not been registered.
Manufacturers apply, test and meet all conditions put to them by the Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities. All ADRs (Australian Design Rules) must be adhered to. SSM approvals do not affect state and territory jurisdictional requirements.
For example, Toyota Australia imports the Landcruiser in as the first stage manufacturer. It meets all Australian design rule criteria.
A Marks 4wd portal axle system is then installed to the landcruiser pre-registration. We then apply to the department for the new VIN plate under our SSM approval. The department then issues the VIN plate after all quality control obligations have been met. The vehicle is then recognised federally as having the equipment installed under the approval, and this is recorded on the Federal government data base. The vehicle can then be registered in any state. If you wanted to sell your vehicle then this process is very straight forward as it can be registered in any state due to the SSM fit out.
How much do I have to pay to get started?
What is the lead time to get my vehicle fitted with portals?
How long will you need my 4x4 for?
Can I add other 4x4 accessories to my portal build?
So we can add any 4×4 accessory to your portal build including bullbars, canopies, lights, suspension, tow bars – we can help with everything!